Sympa Menu

public-l - [DENICpublic-l] NEWS RELEASE: Independent, Federated Digital Identity Management on the Internet: ID4me and DENIC ID Launch at CloudFest 2019

public-l AT list.denic.de

  • From: DENIC Presse <presse AT denic.de>
  • To: public-l AT list.denic.de
  • Subject: [DENICpublic-l] NEWS RELEASE: Independent, Federated Digital Identity Management on the Internet: ID4me and DENIC ID Launch at CloudFest 2019
  • Date: Tue, 19 Mar 2019 10:39:50 +0100

NEWS RELEASE

Independent, Federated Digital Identity Management on the Internet: ID4me and
DENIC ID Launch at CloudFest 2019
Seamless, privacy-friendly Single Sign-On approach to manage multiple logins
online

- Innovative, global login alternative based on domain names for businesses,
the public sector, and individuals
- Launch featuring DENIC ID info booth, ID4me hackathon, keynote and
technical bootcamp

Frankfurt am Main/Brussels, 03/19/2019

Dear Sir or Madam,

Managing logins and digital identities across multiple sites and applications
on the Internet is a discouraging experience for users and site
operators alike. A new digital identity management approach to resolve these
issues is ID4me, a global, federated Single Sign-On standard based on
domain names and solely using existing open standards. ID4me and DENIC ID, a
first market-ready implementation based on this standard, will launch to
the public at CloudFest 2019 [1]. The ID4me initiative, represented by the
non-profit organization ID4me AISBL in Brussels, Belgium, was created by
leading players of the domain, hosting and open-source software industry,
including 1&1 IONOS, DENIC, and OpenXchange.

ID4me offers a seamless, low-threshold technical solution that comes as an
open and privacy-friendly alternative to social media logins. Next to
satisfying user demands, by enabling them to manage their multiple logins
needed for modern-day Internet usage conveniently, via a single central
login account, ID4me also meets site operators’ authentication requirements
and provides them with interoperable SaaS tools for easy integration
within their own infrastructure. With that focus, upcoming CloudFest, held
from March 23 to 29, 2019 in Rust, Germany, will be the perfect partner and
venue to evangelise the open, federated ID4me protocol within the global
cloud and hosting industry and beyond.

Market Launch of ID4me-Based DENIC ID Service at CloudFest 2019

German ccTLD manager DENIC (.de), who has significantly contributed to ID4me
standard development, will be present at CloudFest at booth R05 to
introduce its ID4me-based DENIC ID service. DENIC ID is part of a Single
Sign-On digital identity management solution grounded in the principle of
distributed responsibilities, where DENIC will assume the role of an ID
authority by registering user IDs, authenticating users to access online
service providers (login partners), and managing user consent for sharing
their personal information with such login-partners [2].

3-in-1: Another Use Case Adding Value to Domain Names

"Our implementation for the role of the Identity Authority - DENIC ID - is
not only a vital cornerstone and prerequisite of making the federated ID4me
standard a working solution. It also creates a new use case and add-on
service for domain names, which is why we are excited to add it to our service
portfolio", says DENIC CEO Jörg Schweiger. "The special thing about ID4me as
a universal Single Sign-On approach is that it adds to a domain name,
which is already a well-known and proven resource for an individual's digital
identity on the Internet, quite a strong extra benefit: Until today, you
could use your own domain name as a referral to a website or to personalise
your e-mail account. From now on, it can also be employed as an
authenticating means to access online services. This 3-in-1 solution is
technically unique so far and a novelty in the market."

Explaining the differences between ID4me and other SSO solutions and why
ID4me users benefit in multiple ways, DENIC's chief architect Marcos Sanz
Grossón who is one of the brains behind ID4me and DENIC ID, says: "An ID4me
login provides easy and convenient access to all of a user's online
accounts, enabling them to log in via a single defined set of credentials to
a multitude of services. Other than with social media logins, each owner
of an ID4me account will determine with whom they will share which data and
for how long. Consequently, ID4me users will have full control over their
personal data at all times. Also, the basic principle of distributed
responsibilities underlying both the OpenID Connect and ID4me standards as
well
as DENIC ID makes sure that the overall data necessary for the authentication
process is stored at neither of the involved technical players alone but
each of them possesses only those information he needs to know to perform his
specific tasks, in accordance with his defined role."

ID4me Community Outreach at CloudFest 2019

In order to facilitate adoption of the ID4me standard into existing IT
setups, DENIC has participated in creating a large variety of open code
libraries [3]. Building on those existing libraries, the CloudFest Hackathon
ID4me Plugin Fiesta during March 23 to 25, 2019 [4], will invite hosting,
cloud or SaaS provider developers to take advantage of the open and
independent Single Sign-On protocol to create seamless user onboarding and
authentication solutions for their service or platform, based on an ID4me
login.

ID4me Chairman Andreas Gauger, one of the pioneers in “aaS” (Application as a
Service) and co-founder of the first hosting company in Germany, will
reveal a secret and powerful conversion and retention killer that is
typically not discussed in marketing and management environments, during his
keynote on March 26, 2019, at CloudFest’s Ballsaal Berlin venue space [5].

During the technical bootcamp session “Fixing The Login – Onboard and Retain
Customers At Ease!“ on March 27, 2019, at CloudFest’s Circus Celebration
venue space [5], Alexander Schwertner, Domain Industry Consultant at DENIC,
and Pawel Kowalik, Head of Product Owners Domains at 1&1 IONOS, will
demonstrate why they think current logins are broken and why ID4me can be the
solution to fix it, from the customer experience perspective as well as
from the customer authentication and conversion point of view. The ID4me team
will demo the open protocol and the latest plugins that were developed
during CloudFest Hackathon [4], on the spot, between March 23 and 25, 2019.

---

[1] https://www.cloudfest.com/
[2] https://www.denic.de/en/service/denic-id/
[3] https://id4me.org/documents
[4] https://www.cloudfest.com/hackathon
[5] https://www.cloudfest.com/agenda

Kind regards

Stefanie Welters
Public Relations
--
DENIC eG | Kaiserstraße 75 - 77 | 60329 Frankfurt am Main | GERMANY
E-Mail: presse AT denic.de | Phone: +49 69 27235-274 | Fax: -235

Angaben nach § 25a Absatz 1 GenG:
DENIC eG (Sitz: Frankfurt am Main). Vorstand: Helga Krüger, Martin
Küchenthal, Andreas Musielak, Dr. Jörg Schweiger
Vorsitzender des Aufsichtsrats: Thomas Keller. Eingetragen unter Nr. 770 im
Genossenschaftsregister, Amtsgericht Frankfurt am Main

  • [DENICpublic-l] NEWS RELEASE: Independent, Federated Digital Identity Management on the Internet: ID4me and DENIC ID Launch at CloudFest 2019, DENIC Presse, 03/19/2019

Archive powered by MHonArc 2.6.19.

Top of Page